Proposal Stage of Development: Detailed Business Case Underway*
Planned Stage End Date: Q2 2017
Date of Publication: December 2016 (for period 4 June 2016 – 3 December 2016)
The existing navigational channels to the Port of Townsville are not wide enough to allow safe access for larger vessels and are affecting the navigational safety of existing vessels.
The objective of the proposal is to improve the capacity and safety of vessels accessing the Port of Townsville. The proposal is investigating:
- widening of the Platypus Channel and the Sea Channel connection
- constructing rock walls and revetments to form receiving ponds for the beneficial re-use of dredge material
- establishing a quarry to supply marine-grade armour rock required for rock walls and revetments
- installing navigation aids aligned with the new channel configuration.
Complete Detailed Business Case* > Building Queensland assisting with Detailed Business Case.
* Responsible Agency preparing responses to submissions received following closure of public consultation periods for the additional Environmental Impact Statement.
** Nominal cost in Australian dollars 2016, estimate provided by Responsible Agency.